Bloomington, IN: Barenaked Ladies Concert at IU Auditorium (10/22)

I am on a passive quest to see all of my favorite 90's bands in concert. So far I've seen Third Eye Blind, the Goo Goo Dolls, and the Gin Blossoms, and now I can add the Barenaked Ladies to my list!


The IU Auditorium has quite a bill this year (see what else is coming), and this was an awesome late addition. We bought tickets almost as soon as we could after the concert was announced. The tickets weren't as inexpensive as other concerts we've been to, but well worth it. (It's hard to beat comfortable seats, great audio, and a clear line of sight to the stage...not to mention the mini army of ushers the auditorium employs.)


I can say that, once the Barenaked Ladies started playing, this is one of the best concerts I've been to. The opening band was okay but not my kind of music, although they did grow on me by the end of their act (it was a husband/wife band who were some kind of Canadian country with a cool recorder-looper-thing that allowed them to essentially play dozens of instruments). But once BNL took the stage...they played for almost two hours straight, with hardly any breaks. And it was good.


They played pretty much all of their most popular songs (including the one from the Big Bang Theory!), and some others that aren't as well-known, like ones from their newest album. Plus the guys in the band are just as funny as I hoped they'd be. They included all sorts of tidbits about their day walking around campus and Bloomington. They were really fixated on The Runcible Spoon. It was awesome.


The lighting was also really cool. I have sort of a biased outlook on theater lighting because my brother does a lot of it (when he's not acting or directing). So I tend to go to shows paying attention to the lighting (which not many people do). I thought the angle of putting colors on the ceiling was super cool.





If you get a chance to see a show at the IU Auditorium, I definitely recommend doing it. The auditorium itself is really nice (comfortable seats, great temperature, friendly and helpful staff, large restrooms, good sound, etc). The prices are very competitive especially if you compare them to basically anything in Indianapolis, and they have student pricing as well. As far as parking goes, we parked at a garage that's free after 6 (near Kirkwood) and walked to the auditorium, but there was also a free shuttle that went right from the garage to the auditorium.
Bloomington, IN: Barenaked Ladies Concert at IU Auditorium (10/22) Bloomington, IN: Barenaked Ladies Concert at IU Auditorium (10/22) Reviewed by Maria on 12:30:00 PM Rating: 5

No comments:

© Maria Schwartzman. Powered by Blogger.